Turbet Island

Cavan County Council

Contact Details

Turbet Island was one of the first major settlements at the site of Belturbet. The site has a motte, a steep sided mound of earth with a flat top, and a bailey, an attached enclosed area that would have contained houses and other buildings. It was one of seven fortifications built to secure a roadway to  isolate this part of Ulster which was still under native Irish control. Turbet Island motte and bailey was abandoned by the Anglo-Normans in 1233 and was taken over by the O'Reillys who built a castle here. The site can be accessed via a footbridge which is located beside the main bridge over the River Erne.​

Turbet Island
Address

Turbet Island is situated on the north west side of Belturbet town
just across the bridge on the River Erne.

County Cavan