There’s nothing like exercise in the fresh Irish air to make you feel good about yourself. If you’re looking to just head for gentle paddle or simply be outside and close to nature, this is sure to help you lower your stress levels, help you sleep better and make you a happier person overall.
1. Chance to get closer to nature. Life on Ireland’s waterways is generally less shy around paddlers, you’ll spot things that walkers and cyclists rarely get to see. Herons, blue birds and Irish wildlife are things you will be able to enjoy that only a very small percentage of people are able to access.
2. New friends and lovely people. Paddlers are a cheery, happy and a friendly bunch. It must have something to do with spending so much time outside. Most Irish canoe clubs have a thriving social scene and attract members of all ages and interests so you’ll widen your circle of friends considerably. Visit www.canoe.ie or www.cani.org.uk to find a club near you today.
3. Your fitness will improve and you will get stronger. Canoeing uses most of the muscles in your arms and shoulders – it’s wonderful for toning your upper body. It is a great exercise indeed. Very few other outdoor activities offer this level of aerobic exercise coupled with upper body conditioning. According to scientific researches, kayaking for one hour can burn up to 500 calories. So, if you kayak for 4 hours, you basically lose 2000 calories.
4. It’s fun. Have you ever seen a grumpy person canoeing? Canoeing along Ireland’s waterways, whether its racing down the rapids of the Ballyconnell White Water Course, paddling through serene canals on the north Shannon or heading for a three day expedition on the Lough Derg Blueway, we can guarantee you will have fun.
5. It’s something for the whole family. Canoeing is a very accessible sport and is great for kids and adults. Rather than taking your kids out to the cinema and sitting in silence, why don’t you take your kids canoeing? Spend some quality time with them and make great memories that will last them a life-time. Book your family fun day out today: www.bluewaysireland.org
6. It’s cheap! When you’re starting out canoeing you don’t need to go and buy all of the equipment at once. Many canoe clubs offer free taster sessions year round, whilst many of our Blueway activity providers hire out equipment at very reasonable rates.
People from all walks of life have become fascinated about how canoeing can prove to be an exhilarating experience. Those who consider themselves as good at canoeing are as varied as their boats and the waters they paddle in. In addition to being easy, enjoyable, and fun, canoeing is also an excellent low-impact workout.
If we’ve inspired you to try out canoeing and you want to take the next step, then find out how to get started: www.bluewaysireland.org